Youth Policy Analyst
Full time, permanent
Dupont Circle/Washington, DC - Remote during Pandemic
Starting salary range: $60,000 – $75,000
ABOUT DC ACTION
At DC Action, we know the District’s young people can accomplish anything when they have a fair chance.
And we also know how much stands in their way -- particularly our young people most affected by poverty and racism. These are powerful injustices, and they must be met with an equally powerful response.
We’re uniting all those fighting on behalf of DC’s children and youth to pursue a single, shared vision for what it looks like to grow up in our city. Because, while childhood exists on a continuum from birth to adulthood, the systems, programs and organizations designed to support our children and youth are too often fragmented by age.
Together with our young people, parents and community partners, we’re advocating with one voice for public policies that support kids at every step from early childhood to early adulthood. We are stronger, louder and more effective together. And, whether we are focused on helping a toddler learn her letters or a young man pursue his professional passion, we share one goal: that all of DC’s children and youth grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.
Please visit Our Policy Priorities to learn more about our work, values and impact.
We can’t address structural racism without addressing how it blocks economic opportunity for Black and brown children, youth and their families. DC Action fights to ensure that young adults and all families can enter career fields of their choice, earn a living wage, and live in safe and secure housing, free from discrimination.
DC Action is seeking a full-time Youth Policy Analyst to contribute to the organization's portfolio of policy solutions and coalition building working toward improving outcomes for youth and young adults experiencing homelessness and/or youth unemployment. The Policy Analyst reports to the Director of Research and Policy.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES…
- Monitor, evaluate, and advocate to strengthen the system of supports for youth and young adults experiencing homelessness, disconnection, and underemployment
- Coordinate efforts to include and center the voices of youth and young adults with lived experience
- Manage and facilitate our advocacy coalition made up of youth and community-based organizations that provide services to children/families and unaccompanied youth experiencing homelessness and disconnection from economic support.
- Participate in the development of reports, briefs, blogs, and briefings that persuade policymakers to invest in youth and young adults.
- Adopt and apply anti-racist principles
- Carry out advocacy efforts by building relationships with DC government officials, including the executive, legislative branch and agency staff, as well as potential allies within community based organizations
- Represent DC Action in the Interagency Council on Homelessness and other relevant coalitions and initiatives
- Contribute to funding proposals and grant reports
- Contribute to DC Kids Count reports, briefs and projects, as needed
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS…
- Strong commitment to improving the lives of children and youth
- A passion for economic, racial and social justice.
- Required: A Bachelor’s degree in public policy, education, political science or a related field and at least 4 years of experience in advocacy, education, youth development, workforce, public health or a related field
- Prior experience with and knowledge of DC government and local issues relating to children, youth and families
- A self-starting work style and is self-motivated
- Excellent communication, writing and verbal skills
- Exceptional project management skills, strong attention to detail
- The ability to work independently, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team and with diverse partners
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a small, fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization committed to the well-being of children and youth
The starting salary range for this position is $60,000-$75,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. DC Action offers a generous benefit package, a great team, and a working environment committed to fostering staff growth and leadership.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please complete the Youth Policy Analyst Job Application and upload your resume along with two professional writing samples.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
DC Action recognizes and honors diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and places where people live. We seek to reflect this diversity in all aspects of our work, including the composition of our board, staff, and volunteers. Further, DC Action seeks to be a multicultural and culturally competent organization that works for equity among all people. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from DC Action.