DC Out-of-School Time Coalition
The DC Out-of-School Time Coalition advocates for access to high quality learning opportunities beyond the school day that prepares DC’s youth for success in education, careers and life.
Who we are
The OST community is broad and diverse, serving and supporting students across the District and employing educators who work tirelessly to ensure that all of our young people succeed.
According to FY2019 numbers, 21st Century Community Learning Centers in the District served 9,078 young people– 5,087 through DCPS. In FY2020, Learn 24 awarded 103 grants to programs that served 7,338 young people during the school year and 9,107 during the summer. And, hundreds more are privately funded.
Our expertise is in strengthening the Expanded Learning field – the afterschool and out-of-school-time programs that engage young people in high quality enrichment, academic support, and social-emotional development. We serve a critical role in protecting and advancing an equitable expanded learning system essential for closing the opportunity gap.
Why OST Matters
Children and youth spend only 20 percent of their waking hours in school. How they spend the remaining 80 percent of time has a profound impact on their growth and development. A growing body of research shows that high-quality expanded learning programs are linked to positive academic and social emotional youth outcomes, including:
- improved attendance and grades
- increased engagement, motivation, growth mindset, and cooperation
- the development of career pathway skills
- Join the coalition by completing this membership form
- Email Ryllie Danylko at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more
- Follow us on Twitter for our latest news and events
“Here in the District of Columbia, afterschool programs have been stepping up to meet the challenges students and families are facing by checking in with students, taking students on virtual and actual field trips, and providing counseling and other supports. The DC Out-of-School Time coalition hears, and highlights how these essential programs are delivering for youth and their families, and why we need to do more to support them,” said Ryllie Danylko, a Policy Analyst with DC Action.
DC Action’s Out-of-School Time 2021 Impact Report illustrates how important quality youth development and expanded learning programs are to young people in the District of Columbia. Particularly during the pandemic when young people have experienced intense pressure and isolation, OST programs are essential in providing social-emotional and academic support, opportunities for growth and development, and safe and constructive environments for youth.
"During this week’s initial vote on the District’s FY22 budget, the DC Council increased funding for out-of-school-time programs, adding $5 million on top of previous investments by Mayor Bowser, resulting in a significant increase from $13.6 million last year to a proposed $21.8 million."
"OST programs are a critical element in stemming and reversing learning loss. Just as important, OST programs support young people in healing from the loss and trauma they and their communities have experienced during the pandemic so they can thrive inside and outside of the classroom. Strong partnerships between OST programs and schools have been a key component of the District’s education landscape since before the pandemic, and will continue to be as we look to the future."
OST Blog Series
This new blog series highlights out-of-school-time programs, by creating space to share the stories of voices that have been left out of the discussion about how to support virtual learning, and provide for safe and healthy in-person learning for students who need access to it.
Episode 26: FRESHFARM FoodPrints
This brief highlights the Out-of-School time landscape in the District of Columbia, who it serves, how it’s funded and what impact it has on the lives of young people.
DC Action, District of Columbia Public Schools and the Deputy Mayor for Education's Learn24 has compiled a list of out-of-school time organizations offering remote programs for youth. Families should contact organizations directly to inquire about availability.
DC Action and the DC Out-of-School Time Coalition prepared a list of recommendations for how schools can strengthen their partnerships with OST programs to better meet the needs of students and families.