Full time, permanent
Hybrid, Dupont Circle, Washington, DC
ABOUT DC ACTION
At DC Action, we know the District’s young people can accomplish anything when they have a fair chance.
And we also know how much stands in their way -- particularly our young people most affected by poverty and racism. These are powerful injustices, and they must be met with an equally powerful response.
We’re uniting all those fighting on behalf of DC’s children and youth to pursue a single, shared vision for what it looks like to grow up in our city. Because, while childhood exists on a continuum from birth to adulthood, the systems, programs and organizations designed to support our children and youth are too often fragmented by age.
Together with our young people, parents and community partners, we’re advocating with one voice for public policies that support kids at every step from early childhood to early adulthood. We are stronger, louder and more effective together. And, whether we are focused on helping a toddler learn her letters or a young man pursuing his professional passion, we share one goal: that all of DC’s children and youth grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.
Please visit Our Policy Priorities to learn more about our work, values and impact.
DC Action is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to coordinate communications efforts for our signature campaign, Under 3 DC. All children deserve a strong beginning and a limitless future. Under 3 DC harnesses the voice and power of parents and families with very young children, educators, advocates, and health professionals to create transformative social change. Our efforts center on racial and economic injustice. We shine a spotlight on the need for more public investments for families with infants and toddlers.
The ideal candidate will build on our recent collective action wins to provide pay equity and benefits for early childhood educators and expand early childhood mental health supports with their experience in managing public relations and communications for a child and family issue campaign, steeped in racial equity. The Communications Manager is a strong writer with impeccable people skills who can effectively communicate the goals of the Coalition, internally and externally; develop and deliver compelling messaging; and drive a year-round campaign to compel city leaders to fully fund services and programs for infants and toddlers. The person will help develop communications strategy and coordinate the communications work of campaign members from many other organizations. This position will be an employee of DC Action and report to the Director of Brand and Communications.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES...
- In collaboration with the team, develop and implement a communications plan for the coming campaign season
- Collaborate closely with communications professionals from the coalition’s member organizations to align and streamline branding and communications efforts, including media relations, social media, talking points, media pieces, newsletter content, and other constituent engagement
- Craft and maintain an editorial calendar to include all coalition activities, events, press/media pitches and activities
- Work closely with Coalition staff to understand, compile and then disseminate campaign committee debates, discussions, and decisions
- Develop framing and messaging for a diverse set of constituencies - parents, educators, policymakers, researchers, advocates and businesses
- Manage consultants and vendors for language translation, language interpretation, photography, videography, design, event coordination
- Manage process for content creation including, but not limited to, reports, briefs, fact sheets and press releases
- Develop talking points for coalition staff and coalition members
- With the team, manage any “rapid response” decisions and follow-up actions based on emerging opportunities and concerns
- Other duties, as assigned.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS…
- Relevant digital campaign experience. At least four years of experience working in advocacy communications.
- Driven to get results. You are fast acting, seizing the moment and nimble and able to respond to quickly developing situations. You are a self-starter and problem solver.
- Excellent communicator. You know how to produce and write compelling content that easily and effectively communicates the complex and important issues we work on.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions of organizations to achieve a common goal. Demonstrated ability to manage an inclusive process to gather input, reconcile differing points of view and then make decisions.
- Commitment to equity. You have a strong commitment to anti-racist principles and apply them to your daily work.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to initiate and build relationships with diverse stakeholders and maintain clear channels of communications.
- Great sense of humor. You appreciate rigor and high standards with an ability to encourage fun and laughter in a team environment.
- Flexibility. Ability to pivot and re-prioritize as campaign goals and strategies shift or evolve.
- In it for the long haul. You are not just looking for a one year engagement, but have a long-term vision for the organization’s brand and are looking to stay for a few years to see the fruits of your labor.
The starting salary range for this position is $65,000-$80,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. DC Action offers a generous benefit package, a great team, and a working environment committed to fostering staff growth and leadership. We are able to offer our employees 100% employer-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance, student loan assistance, 401K retirement plan with employer match, generous vacation, personal and sick time, family and medical leave, days off to vote and volunteer, along with an employee assistance program offering counseling, mental health and financial support.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please complete the Communications Manager Job Application and upload your resume along with two professional writing samples.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
DC Action recognizes and honors diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and places where people live. We seek to reflect this diversity in all aspects of our work, including the composition of our board, staff, and volunteers. Further, DC Action seeks to be a multicultural and culturally competent organization that works for equity among all people. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from DC Action.