In celebration of National Reading Month, which encourages kids of all ages, families, and educators to read, we’re sharing some of our team’s favorite children’s books.
- A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
- Clic, Clac, Muu Vacas Escritoras/Click, Clack, Moo Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
- I SPY by Jean Marzollo
- Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
- The Rabbits’ Wedding by Garth Williams
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- The BFG by Roald Dahl
- Sideway Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
If you’re looking for more recommendations for great reads for young kids, middle grade, and young adults, check out the National Education Association’s Read Across America 2020-2021 calendar.
DC Action encourages you to buy books for all the readers in your life at local Black-owned bookstores such as Mahogany Books, Loyalty Bookstores, Solid State Books or from READ, an organization that works to ensure “babies and young children have new, quality, culturally relevant books of their own that are mirrors and windows into their everyday lives and communities.” READ funds all its programming though its online nonprofit children's bookstore.