At DC Action, we know the District’s young people can accomplish anything when they have a fair chance.
And we also know how much stands in their way -- particularly our young people most affected by poverty and racism. These are powerful injustices, and they must be met with an equally powerful response.
We’re uniting all those fighting on behalf of DC’s children and youth to pursue a single, shared vision for what it looks like to grow up in our city. Because, while childhood exists on a continuum from birth to adulthood, the systems, programs and organizations designed to support our children and youth are too often fragmented by age.
Together with our young people, parents and community partners, we’re advocating with one voice for public policies that support kids at every step from early childhood to early adulthood. We are stronger, louder and more effective together. And, whether we are focused on helping a toddler learn her letters or a young man pursue his professional passion, we share one goal: that all of DC’s children and youth grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.
DC Action was founded through a merger between two leading advocacy organizations, DC Action for Children and DC Alliance of Youth Advocates.
Both have long, rich histories of advocating for the District’s children and youth. DC Action for Children was formed in 1992 to provide data analysis and policy leadership on critical issues facing children and youth. DC Alliance of Youth Advocates was formed in 2004 as a coalition to promote and propel youth into productive and healthy adulthood.
In 2020, a new strategic plan and merger was unanimously approved by both boards to build a stronger, united, and more independent organization which launched February 2021 as DC Action.
Making the District of Columbia a place where all young people grow up safe, resilient, powerful and heard.
DC Action uses research, data, and a racial equity lens to break down barriers that stand in the way of all kids reaching their full potential.
Quick Facts about DC Action
- Merged with DC Alliance of Youth Advocates in 2020 to form DC Action.
- Nonprofit, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) organization.
- With the support of individuals and private foundations, we work alongside legislators and community leaders to advocate for change.
- Top priorities: racial equity, early childhood, economic justice, education, health and safety, voting and democracy.
- Conducts research and analysis on current trends and developments in kids’ well-being.
- Collaborates across political, business, nonprofit, community-based, and philanthropic sectors.
- Facilitates city/state-wide, multidisciplinary coalitions to advance systems coordination and reform
- Provides technical assistance and subject matter expertise to agency leaders, advocates and community leaders
We invite you to learn more about our past initiatives and ongoing work by exploring our Newsletters.